Kids Protection Plan
Did you know that 69% of parents have not yet named guardians for their kids? Even the 31% who have named guardians, most of them have made one of the 6 common mistakes. Download and review our 6 common mistakes document at the bottom of the page, and then schedule a Family Wealth Planning Session today, so we can fix those mistakes. Schedule an Appointment.
Having a will does not ensure that your kids will be taken care the way you want if the unthinkable happens to you!
If you are parent of minor children (or those with special needs) who are counting on you, your estate plan must start with planning for the care of your children, by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At Grieta Gilchrist Law Firm, LLC, we are experts at planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without proper planning, if the unthinkable happens to you, here is what could happen:
- The State of New Mexico could take your children into custody while your documents (if you have them) are located or your family is identified. Worse, your kids be left in the care on the one person in your family you would never want raising them;
- A judge who doesn’t know you or your family will decide who raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would want;
- When your kid turns 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left – outright with no protection;
- There are unscrupulous people who make it their business to review public records to find out what 18 years old are coming into money
- Many estate planning attorneys do not address these issues and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
These things scare me too. That’s why I offer a Kids Protection Plan® with every estate plan we prepare for families with young children.
What is a Kids Protection Plan®?
A Kids Protection Plan® is a set of instructions, legal documents and even and ID card for your wallet, which you need if you have kids at home who on you for their well-being and care.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan® will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of State of New Mexico, strangers or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want because the authorities don’t have clear instructions from you. And your Kids Protection Plan® will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by the courts who don’t know you.
To get started on your Kids Protection Plan®, contact us. Contact Us.
Download and review our 6 common mistakes most parents (& their lawyers!) make when naming legal guardians.